Thursday, January 17, 2013

Baby Food Passion

Ask anyone, I am passionate about baby food making. I will first and foremost say I do not judge ANYONE who does not make your own baby food I know some moms just can't find time for it. BUT I will say I want every momma to know it is so easy and is done so quickly/cheaply/healthfully!

For the next few posts I will be focusing on the "art of baby food making"

I have always made my babies food and chosen to always go organically and I encourage others to do the same. I at least go organic on the "dirty dozen" foods. Everything now even our produce is so genetically modified, I want to give my babies a good start. If you were to go into a supermarket to buy your baby organic baby food you would pay from arounf .80 a jar to 1.82 for a pouch. These are 4 oz servings. My little 9 month old now eats 2 4 oz serving at each sitting. So, if I were to go on the .80 jar size I would be spending $4.80 A DAY! UMMMMMM No.

Also, most baby food even organic have citric acid added into the jar for preserving purposes. I love knowing everything I put in my babies food and knowing EXACTLY what she is eating!

There are so many ways to go about making baby food. First of all get yourself a good book! I love Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron I also love the site wholesomebabyfood.com

In "Super Baby Food" Ruth talks about the different ways of cooking and also proper storing.

I usually roast or steam veggies/fruits because that is what works best for me and I have a large food processor but that is not the only way to go about it. ALSO, I really really really love how fun making food can be. Don't get ahead of yourself with excitement though! Foods are intended to be introduced at certain times for certain reasons. Babies shouldn't have solids before 6 months for digestive reasons, you do the four day wait rule for reasons. So that is why I highly encourage Ruth's book because she discusses all of those reasons and gives you a good schedule on when to introduce foods. 



Happy Baby Food making!!

No comments:

Post a Comment