Thursday, January 17, 2013

Quinoa, Butter Nut, Pea

My little girl has finally hit the 9 month mark so we can start to introduce new fun grains into her diet. I was super excited to introduce quinoa. Quinoa has more protein than meat! If you have ever had quinoa and you see that little swirly attached to the grain that is where all the protein is at! (Fun Fact)
Olive LOVES Butternut squash. I would drive to Trader Joes and they would have pre-cubed butternut squash in bags during the holidays. But now that the butternut casserole recipes have been put away for the season I am back to trying to slice the hard squash. I say this because you are going to go... Becca is this worth it? Yes, it is. :) Be careful while cutting squash,

I buy frozen organic peas. They are they only way I have been able to get a smooth texture.

Quinoa.Butternut.Pea

There is really no art to the proportions of this recipe so feel free to play with it.

1/4 Cup Dry Organic Quinoa
1 Organic Butternut Squash
1 Bag Organic Frozen Peas

Add Dry Quinoa to 1 Cup of boiling water, Let it boil 8-10 Minutes Strain and set aside
Cut Butternut Squash Horizontally starting at the top of the stem. Scoop out seeds. I roast my squash and it takes around an hour. Get our a glass pyrex type pan, Place Squash flesh side facing down. Add about a 1/2 inch of water to the dish. Roast at 400 degrees for an hour.
If you have a steam basket steam peas for about 6 minutes. If you want to microwave you can depending on your feeling about microwaves. Peas can also be boiled.

Use whatever you are choosing to use to blend you baby food. A blender, food processor or bullet doesn't matter!

Scoop flesh out of the skin of your squash and add first to your processor. Do your best to leave skin out of this mix. Add cooked quinoa and cooked strained peas. You will need a little bit of water or breastmilk or formula to help this mixture become smooth. I usually add water to make the consistency I want. Blend Until smooth! Store how you chose to store! I freeze in mason jars or keep in my fridge for up to 4 days. I hope baby loves it as much as my sweet girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment