Friday, January 11, 2013

Honey Oat Granola Bars



 A few years back when I first was married to my sweetheart I remember going down the canned food isle the boxed food isle and thought that green beans from a cans was healthy! Until 2 years ago when I had my first child Noah I decided to turn the box around and read the ingredients..

....

....

....

What am I EATING!?????

   All that being said, I decided if I can make things. Whole Food/Real Food and make it taste amazing than I can completely skip the boxed food! I started making granola bars and let me tell you to make a good granola bar takes trial and error. Do you go with baking do you go with whole oats? Quick Oats? The possibilities are really endless and that is what is so fun about it. I'm not a huge chocolate fan, so I went with a bar that I genuinely LOVE!

Honey Oat Granola Bars:

4 Cups Gluten Free Oats (You can use non gluten free oats)
16 ounces of Creamy Natural Peanut Butter (Check the back, make sure there isn't hydrogenated oils stuck in)
1/2 Cup Unsweetened Dried Cranberries
1/4 Cups Unsalted Sunflower Seeds
1/2 Cup Pumpkin Seeds
1/2 Cup Agave or Honey
AND THE SECRET!!!!!
1 Drop doTERRA Cinnamon Essential Oil
1 tsp cinnamon


Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Combine Peanut Butter and Honey together in a sauce pan or a microwave safe bowl and heat until warm. Add Honey and Peanut butter mix to your dry ingredients and mix well. Add your drop of cinnamon oil and keep stirring.

Take a 9x13 pan or whatever you have and grease with coconut oil or whatever you chose to grease with.

Pour mixture in pan. The mix will be crumby but should stick together somewhat. Take parchment paper and press firmly down to even out your mix.

Place in freezer for 30 minutes!!!

I than take my bars out and cut them into about 5 inch pieces and plastic wrap them individually so they are quick to grab. Probably not the most Eco friendly thing but hey, I'm being honest! Store bars in fridge whether you chose to wrap or leave in the pan the take as you want.




No comments:

Post a Comment